- Glass or shallow bowl
- Straight pin or needle
- Small craft or block magnet
Step 1 Magnetize your needle
Take your magnet, and rubbing it over and over again in one direction down half the length of your needle. Rotate the needle to make sure you've gotten the whole thing!
Step 2 Build the compass pointer
Cut out a small disc of cork, and stick the needle through the middle, so that it's sticking out both ends evenly.
Step 3 Give your needle a place to float
Fill your cup or shallow bowl with water, deep enough so the cork can float freely.
Step 4 Float your needle
Float your cork disc on the surface of the water. The magnetized end of the needle will rotate to point toward magnetic north!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades